FORT BENNING, GA (WTVM) - The National Guard team of Capt. Robert Killian and 1st Lt. Nicholas Plocar remain at the top of the board following the night orienteering event that ended in the pre-dawn hours Sunday.
There was very little movement in the standings from yesterday, marked only by the upward momentum of both 25th Infantry Division teams that are still in the hunt. 2nd Lt. Michael Rose and 2nd Lt. John Berman moved into the second spot from third and 1st Lt. Kyle Cobb and 1st Lt. Kevin Higuchi moved from tenth to seventh.
All 26teams from yesterday made it into the final day of competition. Of the original 50 teams, four were eliminated early on in competition Friday due to medical reasons.
Twenty teams didn't make the cut following the foot march Friday night – 14 for medical reasons.
1. Team 32: Capt. Robert Killian and 1st Lt. Nicholas Plocar, National Guard
2. Team 20: 2nd Lt. Michael Rose and 2nd Lt. John Bergman, 25th Infantry Division
3. Team 47: Cpl. Daniel Puckett and Staff Sgt. Eric Adams, 75th Ranger Regiment
4. Team 4: Staff Sgt. William Haney and Sgt. Brendon Wellendorf, 7th Infantry Division
5. Team 45: Staff Sgt. Christopher Broussard and Sgt. 1st Class Charles Cogle, 75th Ranger Regiment
6. Team 7: Staff Sgt. Benjamin Sievert and Staff Sgt. Michael Phillips, 173rd Airborne
7. Team 19: 1st Lt. Kyle Cobb and 1st Lt. Kevin Higuchi, 25th Infantry Division
8. Team 46: Sgt. 1st Class Justin Glaubitz and Staff Sgt. Kelly Davis, 75th Ranger Regiment
9. Team 37: Capt. Phil Divinski and Capt. David Gardner, 199th Infantry Brigade
10. Team 25: 1st Sgt. Joshua King and Sgt. 1st Class Robert Jackson, 5th Special Forces Group
11. Team 33: Master Sgt. Jason Broyles and Staff Sgt. Erich Friedlein, National Guard
12. Team 29: Sgt. 1st Class Brook Redding and Staff Sgt. Charles Hannan, 316th Cavalry Brigade
13. Team 26: Capt. Steven Crowe and Staff Sgt. Matthew Boesch, 5th Special Forces Group
14. Team 23: Staff Sgt. Adam Davila and 1st Lt. Gregory Scheffler, 504th BFSB
15. Team 9: 1st Lt. John Steger and 1st Lt. Shaun Looney, 10th Mountain Division
16. Team 34: 1st Lt. Jose Moreno and Staff Sgt. William Kocken, National Guard
17. Team 48: Sgt. Gregory McGaurn and Staff Sgt. Neal Ramirez, 75th Ranger Regiment
18. Team 1: 1st Lt. Zachary Wise and 1st Lt. Stephen Wilson, 1st Armored Division
19. Team 35: Capt. Ryan Hubbs and Sgt. 1st Class Steven Sparks, National Guard
20. Team 12: Capt. Alexander Rhoads and 1st Lt. James Teskey, 82nd Airborne Division
21. Team 18: 1st Lt. Jonathan Brege and 1st Lt. Jeffrey Ivas, 101st Airborne Division
22. Team 44: Sgt. 1st Class Antonio Paparella and Sgt. 1st Class Nhiem Chau, ARTB
23. Team 27: Sgt. 1st Class Valentino Dezaldivar and Sgt. 1st Class Keith Batchelder, 7th Special Forces Group
24. Team 39: Sgt. 1st Class Aaron Marn and Sgt. 1st Class Michael Rach, ARTB
25. Team 30: Sgt. 1st Class Jesus Zuniga and Staff Sgt. Marcus Love, 316th Cavalry Division
26. Team 22: 1st Lt. Jesse Nanguata and Sgt. Jeremy Lemma, 504th BFSB
U.S. Army Ranger teams from around the world are at Fort Benning for the annual David E. Grange Jr. Best Ranger Competition. The three-day Best Ranger Competition has been compared to Ironman and Eco-Challenge competitions.
The competition challenges two-man Ranger teams in events that test their physical conditioning, Ranger skills and team strategies. The events are purposely scheduled back-to-back and around the clock for 60 hours, allowing little time for rest and meals.