Here's what you need to know when you're down to the wire on Tax Day

(WTVM) - The deadline to get your taxes in is midnight on April 15.

If you're like a lot of people and you need more time to get those tax returns filed, there are a few things you can do.

Experts say you can file an extension using Form 4868. You can find the form on on the home page.

You can complete the form online or mail it in. If you're mailing it in you have to send it by April 15, which will give you an extension on the form

This will not give you an extension on any money you may owe, which needs to be sent by April 15 to avoid penalties and interest.

"If you have two minutes out of your busy schedule, by all means file the extension form," said IRS spokesperson Mark Green. "This will eliminate any penalties, [which can] be up to 25 percent. So I definitely encourage you to file that form by midnight tonight."

If you're owed a tax refund and you don't file by April 15, you won't get hit by a penalty.

This has always been the case, but many people may not realize it.

Copyright 2014 WTVM. All rights reserved.