Man sentenced to 35 years for attempted murder of 2 Phenix City -, GA News Weather & Sports

Man sentenced to 35 years for attempted murder of 2 Phenix City officers

Robert Lorenzo Anderson (Columbus Police Dept.) Robert Lorenzo Anderson (Columbus Police Dept.)

A Columbus, Ga. man who was convicted in April for attempted murder of two Phenix City police officers, as well as menacing of two other law enforcement officers, has been sentenced to 35 years in prison according to a statement released by Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange's office.

Robert Lorenzo Anderson, 24, was sentenced to 35 years for each of the two counts of attempted murder and six months for each of the two counts of menacing, with these sentences to run concurrently. Anderson was found guilty by a jury on April 23 following a two-day trial in Russell County Circuit Court.   

Prosecutors successfully argued that Anderson fired shots at the officers on July 25, 2013 after law enforcement responded to a 911 call indicating gunfire at the Riverview Apartments.

According to reports, When officers Ryan Anglin and Kilpatrick Thomas arrived on scene they encountered a man who fit the suspect's description who jumped out of a second story window and fled.

Officers Anglin and Thomas began chasing after Anderson who then pointed a pistol and fired at the officers. At that point, the two officers radioed in the shooting which prompted additional officers to respond to the scene.

One of the responding officers, Ray Rogers, testified that Anderson shot at him as he rounded a corner of one of the apartment buildings. At that point Investigator Thomas Franklin, who had also responded to the scene, saw Anderson running across a street. Franklin stated that Anderson pointed the gun at his vehicle but fled when Franklin fired his weapon first. Franklin then pulled his vehicle alongside Anderson and shot him in the leg. That is when Anderson was then taken into custody.

The Attorney General's Criminal Trials Division presented witnesses and forensic evidence at trial as well as his own statements while being treated in an ambulance where he said, "Give me a gun and I'd do it again."

Anderson told investigators that he had been in the apartment to sell drugs and admitted to firing his gun, but during interviews did not admit to shooting at the officers.     

"This man conducted a terrible attack on the lives of law enforcement officers who responded to a call for help and put their lives, literally, on the line to protect residents of Riverview Apartments and the people of Phenix City," the Attorney General said in a statement. "This verdict should serve as a warning that Alabama will not tolerate threats and assaults on our law enforcement officers, and those who do so will be held to account and face stern punishment."

INFORMATION SOURCE: Alabama Attorney General's Office

Copyright 2014 WSFA 12 News.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly