AFD battles apartment fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

AFD battles apartment fire

Posted: Updated:

A kitchen fire destroyed one apartment, and damaged another in northwest Albany on Saturday.

Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow tells us an one of the units at the Village Apartments on Nottingham Way caught fire while the someone was cooking.

Harcrow says the tenant turned the stove on and walked away, and had some papers near the burner, which caught fire.

We spoke with the resident next door who's home had some smoke damage. He's not sure what they'll do now.

"Right now I don't know, we are gonna have to compromise and come together, we are gonna have to find somewhere to stay for the next couple of days until they get everything situated," says resident Jarvaris Stephens.

Chief Harcrow says its important never to leave your stove unattended while cooking.

"If your gonna be cooking number one try and stay in the kitchen if your gonna leave try and take something with you to remind you that you are cooking because its so easy to get preoccupied. Anytime especially if your gonna be cooking with grease it doesn't take just but a second to reach its ignition temperature and most people how quickly that happens," says Battalion Kelly Harcrow.

No one was injured.

 Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.