Because of a recent increase in house fires, Albany firefighters are urging parents to keep lighters and matches out of sight and reach of children.
For the second time in a week, kids playing with matches and lighters have sparked Albany house fires.
Firefighters say a nine year old girl playing with a lighter set a bed on fire in the home in the 200 block of Delta Street Sunday night about 11:00.
Firefighters say they teach kids not to play with matches and lighters, but parents have to help by keeping them away.
"We need to do a better job of educating our parents. Not leaving lighters and matches around for their kids to get hold to. Because it's summer time. Let's face it, some kids are home alone," said Asst. Fire Chief Sebon Burns.
Firefighters say the damage to the Delta Street home and their contents was $17,000.