4 employees taken to hospital after hazmat spill at store - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

First On Scene

4 employees taken to hospital after hazmat spill at New Haven pharmacy

Posted: Updated:
NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) -

Four employees of a pharmacy in New Haven were taken to the hospital after they got sick cleaning up a chemical spill inside the store on Wednesday morning.

The hazmat situation was reported at the Walgreen's pharmacy, 88 York St., around 11:45 a.m.

Carbonic acid, which is used in alcohol and soda, spilled for an unknown reason. According to authorities, while cutting out the carpet and taking out it outside, employees began to experience feelings of nausea.

The four employees from the Walgreen's pharmacy were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital for treatment. Their conditions were not provided by authorities, but their injuries are not life-threatening.

"Four employees were exposed to the product. They became overcome. They became lightheaded, nauseated and started vomiting," New Haven Fire Chief Allyn Wright said.

No other employees were affected by the spill.

"I wasn't feeling too well, so I hurried in and out," said Gladys Legrand, who was a Walgreen's customer. "So I'm just hoping it didn't affect me."

A company has been called in to clean up the spill and the Walgreen's reopened later on Wednesday. 

The chemical spill remains under investigation. 

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.