Ocean Springs man dies from flesh eating bacteria - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Ocean Springs man dies from flesh eating bacteria

Nick Duvernay grew up in Ocean Springs. His family said he loved the water and was an avid diver, fishermen and spear fisher. Nick Duvernay grew up in Ocean Springs. His family said he loved the water and was an avid diver, fishermen and spear fisher.
Last Sunday, he spent the day on the water with his family. Duvernay's sister, Sarah Duvernay Montgomery, said she never imagined that day on the water would lead to his death. Last Sunday, he spent the day on the water with his family. Duvernay's sister, Sarah Duvernay Montgomery, said she never imagined that day on the water would lead to his death.
Doctors believe Duvernay contracted a flesh eating bacteria in the Gulf of Mexico that, within days, led to his death. Doctors believe Duvernay contracted a flesh eating bacteria in the Gulf of Mexico that, within days, led to his death.
Montgomery said her brother was very close with his family and had plans to tie the knot with his fiancee of five years this fall. Montgomery said her brother was very close with his family and had plans to tie the knot with his fiancee of five years this fall.
Still in shock, Montgomery wants to warn everyone who swims in the Gulf of Mexico. "If you get cut out there, go in immediately. Don't let this go and hope for the best, because within four days my brother was dead." Still in shock, Montgomery wants to warn everyone who swims in the Gulf of Mexico. "If you get cut out there, go in immediately. Don't let this go and hope for the best, because within four days my brother was dead."
OCEAN SPRINGS, MS (WLOX) -

Nick Duvernay grew up in Ocean Springs. His family said he loved the water and was an avid diver, fishermen and spear fisher. Last Sunday, he spent the day on the water with his family. Duvernay's sister, Sarah Duvernay Montgomery, said she never imagined that day on the water would lead to his death.

"We all got to spend the day as a family and had a blast doing what he loved," Montgomery remembered. "He got to fish and spend time with my son, who was just his world. I'm really thankful that that was one of his last days because it was a great day."

Montgomery said her brother wasn't feeling well Sunday after getting off the boat. But he's suffered from back problems for years, and just thought it was the same old problem.

The next day, Monday, she said Duvernay began throwing up. Tuesday, he came down with a bad fever and was feeling dizzy. By Wednesday, Montgomery said her brother began having chest pains and could not breathe, so his fiancee rushed him to the hospital.

"At first they said congestive heart failure, because he had a lot of fluid on his belly and on his legs," Montgomery said. "He had problems with high blood pressure for a long time and he had left it untreated, unfortunately, so I believe his organs were already in a weakened state."

Doctors noticed Duvernay was having kidney failure and Montgomery said they admitted him to the ICU Wednesday night. Doctors drained some of the fluid from his stomach, but had to stop because his blood pressure was dropping too low.

Things continually got worse, according to Montgomery.

"His leg kept swelling and his leg actually started to burst open, the back of his leg," Montgomery explained. "They realized then they were dealing with something much scarier than they thought at first."

Montgomery said doctors told the family Duvernay's kidneys were shutting down and he had an infection in his blood. Thursday morning, Duvernay had surgery on his leg to try and remove the infection, but things continued to take a turn for the worst.

"We were told the worst case is he would pass or he might possibly lose his leg, but even then we weren't really thinking he was going to die from this," Montgomery said.

By 2pm Thursday, Montgomery said doctors advised the family that if anyone wanted to see Duvernay, they better come now. Duvernay began having liver failure, his respiratory system was shutting down, and he was on a ventilator.

Eight hours later, the family's worst nightmare came true when Nick Duvernay passed away.

Still in shock, Montgomery wants to warn everyone who swims in the Gulf of Mexico.

"If you are going to go out there and be in the water, just make sure you don't have any cuts on you, especially if you have a weaker immune system like Nick did from being sick," Montgomery said. "If you get cut out there, go in immediately. Don't let this go and hope for the best, because within four days my brother was dead."

Montgomery said her brother was very close with his family and had plans to tie the knot with his fiancee of five years this fall.

Wednesday on WLOX News, you'll hear from an Ocean Springs doctor about the bacteria and what you need to know to stay safe in our Gulf waters.

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Texas school gunman: 'I'm going to kill you.' Then he fired

    Texas school gunman: 'I'm going to kill you.' Then he fired

    Saturday, May 19 2018 11:51 PM EDT2018-05-20 03:51:30 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 7:34 AM EDT2018-05-20 11:34:03 GMT
    (Jennifer Reynolds/The Galveston County Daily News via AP). April Salinas, second from right, her daughters Meah, 13, and Macee, 6, and Jeramiah Kelley read notes left at memorial behind Texas First Bank, Saturday, May 19, 2018 in Santa Fe, Texas. A gu...(Jennifer Reynolds/The Galveston County Daily News via AP). April Salinas, second from right, her daughters Meah, 13, and Macee, 6, and Jeramiah Kelley read notes left at memorial behind Texas First Bank, Saturday, May 19, 2018 in Santa Fe, Texas. A gu...

    The mother of one slain student said her daughter may have been targeted because she rejected advances from the suspect, who was an ex-boyfriend of her daughter's best friend.

    More >>

    The mother of one slain student said her daughter may have been targeted because she rejected advances from the suspect, who was an ex-boyfriend of her daughter's best friend.

    More >>
  • Mother jailed after son mistakenly tests positive for cocaine

    Mother jailed after son mistakenly tests positive for cocaine

    Saturday, May 19 2018 11:47 AM EDT2018-05-19 15:47:38 GMT
    Saturday, May 19 2018 12:43 PM EDT2018-05-19 16:43:34 GMT

    Starla McCray spent three days in jail after her son tested positive for cocaine. The hospital now says it was all a mistake and that there was an error in the test.

    More >>

    Starla McCray spent three days in jail after her son tested positive for cocaine. The hospital now says it was all a mistake and that there was an error in the test.

    More >>
  • After The Royal Wedding: Get a look at what happened next

    After The Royal Wedding: Get a look at what happened next

    Saturday, May 19 2018 5:15 PM EDT2018-05-19 21:15:53 GMT
    The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Kensington Palace)The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Kensington Palace)
    The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Kensington Palace)The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Kensington Palace)

    The world watched as American actress Meghan Markle married Prince Harry at St. George's Chapel in Windsor Saturday.

    More >>

    The world watched as American actress Meghan Markle married Prince Harry at St. George's Chapel in Windsor Saturday.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly