Detainee dies at Lee County Detention Facility -, GA News Weather & Sports

Detainee dies at Lee County Detention Facility

James Ike Hubbard, 23. Photo courtesy Lee County Sheriff's Office James Ike Hubbard, 23. Photo courtesy Lee County Sheriff's Office

A detainee at the Lee County Detention Facility was pronounced dead Friday night, Aug. 15, according to the Lee County Sheriff's Office.

James Ike Hubbard, 23, of Auburn was serving a jail term of three weekends after being convicted on Aug. 13 of DUI in Opelika Municipal Court.

Witnesses told authorities that when Hubbard arrived at the Detention facility on Friday to serve his first weekend, he fell when he exited the vehicle, and then got back to his feet. They said he appeared to be drunk.

"At some point he fell,witnesses saw and contacted deputies who met Mr. Hubbard in the parking lot andescorted him back to booking," said Sheriff Jay Jones with the Lee CountySheriff's Department.

Officials say Hubbard was responsive during questioning, but was later found unresponsive on the floor of a holding cell.

Sheriff Jones says it'snot unusual for deputies to handle intoxicated individuals and get them medicalhelp if needed. In this case, Hubbard appeared to be just fine.  

"Mr. Hubbard wasresponsive to questions, was walking on his own," Sheriff Jones said.

Hubbard was placed in aholding cell near booking until he could sober up before being booked in.  

"He was under observationand at one point he was not sitting up, he was laying on the ground," Sheriff Jonessaid. "And the deputies came and of course called EMS."

Emergency medical services were contacted, and responded just before 11 p.m. Friday night, but Hubbard never regained consciousness. He was pronounced dead at approximately 11:40 p.m. CDST.

"We feel like our staffacted in an appropriate manner they did what they were supposed to do in termsof the job and it is being investigated by an independent agency and will bepresented to a grand jury," Sheriff Jones said.

Hubbard's body has been transported to the Alabama Department of Forensic Science Laboratory in Montgomery for post mortem examination.

The State Investigations Bureau of the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency will investigate the incident. 

We did reach out to Hubbard'sfamily and friends. His family was not ready to speak about his death.

Sheriff Jones does not knowwhen the autopsy will be back; when it is, we will let you know what the reportsays.

Copyright 2014 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly