Historic Mott House destroyed from massive fire Sunday morning - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Historic Mott House destroyed from massive fire Sunday morning

The Mott House before the massive fire (Image credit: Google Earth) The Mott House before the massive fire (Image credit: Google Earth)
(Image credit: Google Earth) (Image credit: Google Earth)
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -

The historic Calhoun-Griffin-Mott House located at 14th Street and Broadway was severely burned Sunday at 2:26 a.m., according to Columbus Fire Marshal Ricky Shores.

The building was built back in the early 1840s, and TSYS has owned it since 1998. TSYS has been working to create a conference center inside the building for about a year, according to a TSYS spokesperson.

The project was expected to be completed by spring 2015. The Mott House was originally 10,000 square feet wide, and the addition of the room would have expanded the building to 13,000 square feet.

A TSYS spokesperson also told News Leader 9 they were working on building and adding a modern handicap access to the Mott House.

Shores said 32 firefighters were dispatched to the Mott House to put out the massive fire. Shores said the building is "completely destroyed" and multiple floors collapsed from the fire as well. Firefighters were still putting out fires and smoke from the building by 11 a.m. Sunday.

Shores said none of the firefighters were able to go inside the building to put out the fire. He explained the access to the building is difficult due to the age of the building and the structure.

Shores said the firefighters put out the smoke from the outside of the building until it was safe enough for the firefighters to enter the building.

Shores also told News Leader 9 no reports of injuries had been made so far and the firefighters will be out possibly all day to put out the flames. The fire department is still looking into the cause of the fire.

TSYS officials also said no employees were injured from the fire.

A TSYS spokesperson said they are not sure what they will do with the building yet. TSYS officials said this is the first fire incident to occurred at the Mott House ever since TSYS owned the building.

Copyright 2014 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly