COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Smoke and flames damaged the home of a Columbus family who lived there for more than 40 years.
News Leader 9's Jenyne Donaldson was first on the scene.
The Ingram family watched as firefighters fought to save their Garden Drive home, which fire investigator Danny Irons says was started from food left on the stove.
Battalion Chief Bryan Watson says the call came in around 9:30 Tuesday morning on Sept. 23. Columbus firefighters arrived on the scene and found flames shooting from the back of the house. Ashley Ingram was the only person home at the time and says she heard a crackling noise and when she saw the smoke and flames she ran outside.
Homeowner Bennie Ingram says this is hard for his family, since their son recently passed away and was buried last Saturday, Sept. 20.
"See what's really hurting us is, see my son just died," Bennie said, who lived in the house for 41 years. "We buried him Saturday at 1. She ain't got over that, now this done happened. Ya hear me? Yeah."
His wife says they moved into that house back in 1973, when their son was just eight months old.
Chief Watson says the house has moderate fire damage but extensive smoke damage.
The Red Cross has been called out to help the family. The Ingrams say that their family will get through this.