Victims of Kenesaw St house fire say it’s a miracle no one was i - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Victims of Kenesaw St house fire say it’s a miracle no one was injured

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -

A house located on the 4000 block of Kenesaw Street caught on fire Sunday morning around 5:50 a.m. according to Columbus Fire and EMS Chief Ricky Shores.

Chief Shores said no suspicious activity is detected at this point, and the fire appears to be accidental in nature.

Red Cross said Columbus Fire put the fire out within an hour. Red Cross disaster team responded to the site Sunday around 7 a.m., and the fire was already gone by the team arrived.

There were four adults and two children involved, but no one was injured.

"My oldest daughter, youngest daughter, my two grand children and my cousin and I were at the house during the time of the fire," Carolyn Brown, 54, said. "My oldest daughter Christina was screaming 'fire, fire, fire!' So I ran to her room and opened the door and there was a huge blaze of fire overhead."

Although other parts of the house were not destroyed by the fire, Brown says the entire house has been consumed by smoke and water.

"Red Cross provided us with shelter for the night," Brown said. "I will meet with my insurance company tomorrow to see what else I can do. We lost a few nice things, but I was only thinking about the lives of my children."

Christina Long, 27, said she woke up to heavy smoke and fire surrounding her bed, and she is traumatized by the incident.

"I hopped up from my bed and yelled fire, fire, fire!" Long explained. "It was red and orange. It was right in front of my face. I felt the heat and the smoke covered my face. I was patting myself to see if I was on fire because the fire was right next to me. It's all a blur."

Brown and Long said their neighbors and friends bought them clothes, breakfast and provided them transportation to their church.

"I'm at church this morning to praise God for his mercy and love," Brown said. "My glory goes to God for saving all of us. How awesome he is to protect us even when we are not alert. He has his angels watching over us in our sleep. When I saw that everybody was alive and well, I was so relieved. There was no doubt in my mid that it was by the grace of God that our lives were saved today."

"I'm just so thankful and grateful that we were all able to get out because I never imagined this would ever happen to us," Long said. "My family is my heart. I want to make sure they are okay. There are lot of things I cannot replace that I lost to the fire. But we are still together and well. I mean, you see and hear about fires on television, but you never think it could ever happen to you. I'm just grateful God saved us all. Everything good goes back to him."

Patti Buckhiester, Red Cross's Disaster Action Team captain who responded to Brown's house fire, said they see a rise in house and apartment fires during this time of the year.

"It's a good idea to buy at least two fire extinguishers," Buckhiester said. "Place one in your kitchen and one in your hallway so you can be prepared for any fire emergencies."

Buckhiester explained the West Central Chapter grew and the chapter has gone from covering seven counties to 20 counties. Red Cross is looking to recruit more people.

To help the family members of the Kenesaw St. house fire or to volunteer with Red Cross, call the West Central Chapter located on 3940 Rosemont Drive at 706-323-5614 or 706-323-3940.

Copyright 2014 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly