Opelika man found guilty of sexually abusing foster children - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Opelika man found guilty of sexually abusing foster children

  • More on WTVM.comMore>>

  • Testimony begins in Opelika sex abuse trial

    Testimony begins in Opelika sex abuse trial

    Thursday, March 12 2015 1:21 PM EDT2015-03-12 17:21:54 GMT
    Thursday, March 2 2017 9:10 AM EST2017-03-02 14:10:41 GMT
    (Source: Elizabeth White)(Source: Elizabeth White)
    In November 2013, investigators say Kenneth Robinson, 49, committed horrific offenses against two young girls while they were living with his mother in foster care.More >>
    In November 2013, investigators say Kenneth Robinson, 49, committed horrific offenses against two young girls while they were living with his mother in foster care.More >>
OPELIKA, AL (WTVM) - An Opelika man has been found guilty of sexually abusing two foster children in the care of his mother.

Kenneth Robinson, 49 was also found guilty of sodomy in the First Degree. He was not found guilty of rape.

His sentencing will be held May 20.

Friday, March 13, the defense called Robinson's mother to the stand.

She told the jury she has been a foster mom in Lee County for about ten years and has cared for over thirty children.

When asked if she knew anything about the alleged crimes against her son, she responded "No" and if she had, she would have turned her son into DHR.

Investigators say the assaults happened in November 2012. Robinson was arrested on first-degree rape, sodomy and sexual abuse charges. Robinson was arrested back in June 2013 after a social worker contacted police, and the young girls picked Robinson out of a line-up as their attacker.

Opelika Police did not make the arrest public until five months later when News Leader 9 started asking question. We asked Chief of Police John McEachern then why the arrest was not made public.

"It was not the policy of the Opelika Police Department at the time to release identities of individuals who had been arrested on sex related crimes, but since that time, I have become police chief, and we are taking a look at that policy and making revisions so that police will release the names of individuals in sex related crimes to the public," McEachern in 2013.

McEachern also said even though sex assault suspects have not been convicted in a court of law, it is still in the public's best interest to be notified of an arrest in their community.

Copyright 2015 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly