Lee County Commission unveils new Meeting Center, and Justice Ce - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Lee County Commission unveils new Meeting Center, and Justice Center

LEE COUNTY, AL (WTVM) -

It's an upgrade for local leaders, businesses, and the public.

The Lee County Commission met for the first time on Monday after cutting a ribbon for the official grand opening of the new Lee County Meeting Center.

The $1.6 million renovation to the former Johnson Galleries building now houses space for conferences and trainings for government entities and non-profit organizations.

"At some point in time we hope to be adding on to the courthouse to build an annex, but obviously we have a lot of offices that will need to be moved. The idea is that the meeting center will give us flex space to build the annex and once that is finished the building will be for nothing but training and conferences," explains County Administrator Roger Rendleman.

The TK Davis Justice Center is also now open to the public, a project with a price tag of nearly $7.7 million.

The District Attorney and Circuit Clerk moved their offices into the building April 20.

"The old main entrance is now closed and the new, more modern entrance is now functional," says Rendleman.

The Commission unanimously approved the completion of both projects that came in under budget.

These approvals contained change orders which saved tax payers over $66,000 combined.

"The savings that you see here are a combination of efforts of not only the contractor, but the architect and Roger Rendleman," says Commissioner Johnny Lawrence.

The Lee County Commission also approved a plan for allocating funds to the Recreation Board from the one-cent sales tax increase passed by voters last fall.

80 percent will remain for park and facility construction, the other 20 percent will be used for Lee County's four recreation areas.

Copyright 2015 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly