COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Memorial Day is a special day to honor and remember those who died while serving the country's armed forces. In honor of this day businesses will offer discounts to military personnel, while some businesses will be closed on Monday.
The following businesses will offer specials for veterans and active duty members:
- JC Penny – 20 percent discount
- Red Robin – Free appetizer with any purchase of at least $10
- Hooters – 10 free wings
- Wendy's – Free Frosty
- Applebee's - $5 for a meal of 15 percent off food purchase
- Chick-Fil-A – Free meal to all military personnel
- Rack Room Shoes – 10 percent discount
- Sam's Club - $15 gift card when military personnel join or renew their membership
While there are businesses open on Memorial Day, there are still some businesses closed in honor of this day:
- Animal control
- Wells Fargo
- Kinetic Credit Union
- Publix pharmacy
- Midtown Coffee Shop
- U.S. Postal Service
In order to receive Memorial Day deals you must show military I.D. Also, each deal is subject to the local business approval, so make sure you check with the business before going.
List of closures include:
In observance of Memorial Day, all city, state and federal offices will be closed in Georgia and Alabama.
The Government center and City Services Center in Columbus will be closed along with all banks, post offices.
In Auburn, All parks and recreational facilities will be closed, as well as Auburn City Hall.
And here's an extra tidbit - trash pick up resumes tomorrow.