COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - American Red Cross launches its first Giving Day.
Red Cross Giving Day is a 24-hour national fundraising campaign where people are asked to donate money, time and blood to help those in need.
The group is asking everyone in West Central Georgia and across the nation to make a donation to the Red Cross to help ensure that help is available wherever and whenever people need it.
"As we all know, life can change in one day, leaving someone with nothing - without a home, without their belongings, without hope," said Adelaide Kirk, Executive Director of the Red Cross of West Central Georgia. "For so many of our neighbors in West Central Georgia and across the state, the American Red Cross is the answer."
Red Cross Giving Day is a 24-hour national fundraising campaign supporting the work of the Red Cross in communities across the country each and every day. The theme of Giving Day is "All in One Day" because the Red Cross is "all in," every day, helping people to get back on their feet.
"On June 2, we have 24 hours to turn compassion into action," said Kirk. "On this one day, we're asking West Central Georgia residents to please donate to the Red Cross so we can be there to provide help and hope when your neighbors need it most. We're also asking local residents to join us in making vital services possible as Red Cross volunteers and blood donors."
Between July 2014 and April 2015, the Red Cross aided West Central Georgia residents in the following ways:
- Worked with volunteers and partners to install 218 home smoke alarms in high-risk neighborhoods, reducing the threat of fire deaths and injuries.
- Helped 1,494 people become better prepared for emergencies though presentations.
- Taught life-saving skills to 1,410 people.
- Provided emergency communications and other casework services for 661 military families and veterans.
- Facilitated 9,027 blood donations.
Each day in communities across the country and around the world, the Red Cross comforts disaster victims, supplies blood to patients in need, supports members of the military and teaches people life-saving skills. Nationally, the Red Cross:
- Responds nearly 200 times a day to help a family affected by a home fire or other disaster.
- Provides nearly 5,600 blood transfusions a day to patients in need.
- Gives 15,500 people a day lifesaving health and safety training.
- Provides nearly 1,000 services a day to military members, their families and veterans.
- With the help of partners, gives 308,000 children a day measles or rubella vaccinations.
Your support of American Red Cross Giving Day #Allin1Day is a promise of better days ahead for many in our community. Here's how West Central Georgia residents can support Red Cross Giving Day on or Before June 2:
- Make a Donation: https://givingday.redcross.org/#npo/georgia-region
- Be an Ambassador and Help Spread the Word: https://givingday.redcross.org/#ambassadors
- Become a Volunteer: http://www.redcross.org/ga/westcentral/volunteer
- Make an Appointment to Donate Blood: www.redcross.org/blood or 1-800-RedCross