Search to resume Friday morning for boy, 14, in Chattahoochee Ri - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

breaking

Search to resume Friday morning for boy, 14, in Chattahoochee River

(WTVM) - Columbus and Phenix City authorities have suspended their search for a person who disappeared in the Chattahoochee River until Friday morning. 

Columbus Fire Marshal Rickey Shores confirmed to WTVM that a 14-year-old boy went down underneath the 13th Street Bridge on Thursday shortly before 5:07 p.m. EST. 

Chief Shores said the teen was not wearing a life jacket when he went into the water. Officials say at this time, it is unclear if he fell or jumped in.

Three boats are in the water containing Columbus Fire and EMS officials. Chief Shores also tells us the Department of Natural Resources has been contacted. 

We also spoke to Fire Battalion Chief Bryan Watson earlier on Thursday about their search efforts. 

"We got the first diver in the water at 5:30 and we got the dive crews in…" Chief Watson said. "We're doing top water searches below here…. We've got all the resources on the water or in the water." 

Information is still limited at this time. Stay tuned for more details. 

Copyright 2015 WTVM. All rights reserved. 
Powered by Frankly