No injuries reported after fire at Country's BBQ in Columbus - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

breaking

No injuries reported after fire at Country's BBQ in Columbus

(Credit: Tesia Reed/WTVM) (Credit: Tesia Reed/WTVM)
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Crews from the Columbus Fire Department have put out a fire at Country's Barbecue on Mercury Drive on Monday night. 

Columbus Fire Captain Mark Burnett said it started at about 5 p.m. EST from a grease fire.  

"Right now we have everything contained and put out," Captain Burnett said. "It was a grease pit fire that got up into the chimney. The good news is everybody's okay and everybody got out."

After surveying the damage, management reopened the restaurant at 6:30 p.m. EST on Monday night. 

"The pit holds a lot of grease," explained Griff Morpeth, co-owner of Country's. "Sometimes we do our best to clean it. Today it got out of hand. We are equipped to handle it the fire extinguishers, but it also calls the fire department when they go off. Everything is fine, no damage to the building."

We will bring you more details as they become available. 

Copyright 2015 WTVM. All rights reserved. 
Powered by Frankly