July 4th marks the 239th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. That's the document that more or less told King George III of England to leave us alone, we can run the country just fine without him. See how well you do with these holiday-themed trivia questions: (Answers are at the bottom)
1. What are the first words of the Declaration of Independence?
A. "When in the course of human events…"
B. "We the people…"
C. "Four-score and seven years ago…"
2. In addition to Thomas Jefferson, which other future president signed the Declaration of Independence?
A. George Washington
B. John Adams
C. James Madison
3. Can you name a president other than Jefferson or Adams who died on July 4th?
A. James Monroe
B. Andrew Johnson
C. Zachary Taylor
4. Who is the only president born on the Fourth of July?
A. Theodore Roosevelt
B. Woodrow Wilson
C. Calvin Coolidge
5. On which Independence Day did the first 50-star U.S. flag fly?
A. July 4, 1958
B. July 4, 1959
C. July 4, 1960
Answers: 1. A "When in the course of human events…"
2. B John Adams
3. A James Monroe, July 4, 1831
4. C Calvin Coolidge, July 4, 1872
5. C July 4, 1960, ten-and-a-half months after Hawaii was named a state.