Columbus woman frustrated with sewage in apartment bathroom - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Columbus woman frustrated with sewage in apartment bathroom

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - A Columbus woman says her family was moved out of their apartment due to toxic waste contaminating her bathroom.

Raylemeisha Williams first moved into Northgate Village Apartments two years ago, but says her plumbing issues didn’t start until July when she transferred to a new unit.

Williams says she would hear gurgling and see water bubbling in her sink. Maintenance always responded to her work orders, but the problems would always come back.

"It became a consistent situation," Williams said.

On Aug. 8, this bodily fluids and food from other apartments filled her bathtub and sink.

"Me and my family have to go search for places to go use the restroom, can't bathe, now we are feeling like we can't even, you know, not even safe to even drink the water here,” Williams said. “We smelled a stench and pulled the curtain back... now our bathtub is full of toxic sewage water."

Latoria Baker, the property manager says she's doing everything she can to get it fixed.

"We had a problem with this last week, and we had a plumber come out and fix the problem. We called service masters out to go in the units and get everything cleaned up. After Roto-Rooter left, we received a call this weekend that the problem was coming up again, and that's when I felt it was best to just move the residents to a hotel." Baker said.

Columbus Housing Authority officials say landlords are not required by law to pay for hotel accommodations. The city property maintenance inspector says landlords have 45 days to fix issues unless it's hazardous.

In this case, they have 48 hours to take action.

Williams was told she could return home Thursday afternoon and says although the plumbing seems to be fixed, she's worried the apartment was not cleaned properly and is still contaminated.

Copyright 2015 WTVM. All rights reserved. 

  • LocalMore>>

  • Funeral for Dollar General shooting victim held Saturday

    Funeral for Dollar General shooting victim held Saturday

    Saturday, January 20 2018 3:54 PM EST2018-01-20 20:54:46 GMT
    (Source: Family)(Source: Family)

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - The funeral for the shooting victim who was involved in a road rage incident was held Saturday afternoon. Lorenzo Freeman was killed after a road rage incident involving two other men at a Dollar General in Fort Mitchell. The funeral was held Saturday at 1 p.m. in Ozark, AL.  Copyright 2018 WTVM. All rights reserved. | For more news, download the WTVM app here.

    More >>

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - The funeral for the shooting victim who was involved in a road rage incident was held Saturday afternoon. Lorenzo Freeman was killed after a road rage incident involving two other men at a Dollar General in Fort Mitchell. The funeral was held Saturday at 1 p.m. in Ozark, AL.  Copyright 2018 WTVM. All rights reserved. | For more news, download the WTVM app here.

    More >>
  • Hazmat team responds to situation at Auburn University

    Hazmat team responds to situation at Auburn University

    Saturday, January 20 2018 3:50 PM EST2018-01-20 20:50:36 GMT
    (Source: Auburn University)(Source: Auburn University)

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Auburn police and fire crews responded to a hazmat situation at Auburn University this afternoon. The incident occurred in Funchess hall at Auburn.  A hazardous chemical was reportedly poured down the drain during the cleanup process in one of the rooms being cleaned. The chemical did not go all the way down the drain and caused an odor in the building.  One person inside the building reported lightheadedness as a result of the fumes and i...

    More >>

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Auburn police and fire crews responded to a hazmat situation at Auburn University this afternoon. The incident occurred in Funchess hall at Auburn.  A hazardous chemical was reportedly poured down the drain during the cleanup process in one of the rooms being cleaned. The chemical did not go all the way down the drain and caused an odor in the building.  One person inside the building reported lightheadedness as a result of the fumes and i...

    More >>
  • More flu cases confirmed, doctors still recommend getting vaccinated

    More flu cases confirmed, doctors still recommend getting vaccinated

    Saturday, January 20 2018 4:32 PM EST2018-01-20 21:32:31 GMT
    (Source: WTVM)(Source: WTVM)
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Dr. Joseph Conklin with Columbus Regional Health said he's already seen his fair share of patients coming into his office, saying they have flu-like symptoms. "We're seeing a fair amount this year," he said. "Maybe a little more compared to last year." Numbers across the country only support his observation. The Centers for Disease Control reported 14,401 confirmed flu cases during the week of January 13, bringing the season's tot...More >>
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Dr. Joseph Conklin with Columbus Regional Health said he's already seen his fair share of patients coming into his office, saying they have flu-like symptoms. "We're seeing a fair amount this year," he said. "Maybe a little more compared to last year." Numbers across the country only support his observation. The Centers for Disease Control reported 14,401 confirmed flu cases during the week of January 13, bringing the season's tot...More >>
Powered by Frankly