OPELIKA, AL (WTVM) – The family of the Opelika woman who died in a house fire have started an online fundraising campaign in her honor her.
Betsy Hamby, 47, was found dead in her Beauregard community home, located in the 300 block of Lee County Road 100 on Aug. 9.
Now, her daughters have established a memorial fund to help with her final expenses and fire damage.
"Betsy spent the majority of her life in East Alabama, surrounded by her family, who she greatly cherished. She spent much of adult life as a paraplegic, but the wheels never slowed her down," the fundraiser page reads. "She had a spirit that could not be defeated, and she never gave up, even as she nearly escaped the house fire that took her life. Her story is one of overcoming insurmountable odds, which she humbly utilized to inspire friends, family, and strangers alike."
Hamby's daughters also want to use their mother's story to inspire others and make sure another paraplegic and others with disabilities don't have to suffer this type of fate.
"Our primary objective in sharing her story is to inspire others, especially those with disabled friends/family, to ensure they have a fire escape plan and working fire detectors," Amber McKinney said by email. "Many with disabilities do not have someone to check these types of things for them, and it's up to us to initiate and lend a hand. I believe she would want to leave a legacy of love and giving."
If you'd like to donate to the fundraiser, you can visit their GoFundMe page by clicking here.