Auburn students help raise $1K to feed the hungry - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Auburn students help raise $1K to feed the hungry

LEE COUNTY, AL (WTVM) - The Community Market, a program of the Food Bank of East Alabama, serves more than 900 Lee County families every month.

When the market found itself facing a need, some Auburn students stepped up to the plate.

The student led group, Committee of 19 partnered with Campus Kitchens, another student group that redistributes food that would otherwise be wasted.

The two groups were able to raise more than a $1,000 to purchase an additional refrigerator for the market. This refrigerator is for perishable food items needing a place to be stored, so more families wouldn’t have to go hungry.

“A lot of time it is easy when you are on a college campus to not realize there are a lot of people who live in hunger. We are glad we were able to help out and help them store produce for longer and deliver meals to them,” Daniel Cason said, President of Campus Kitchens.

The community market coordinator says there are always ways for the community to help.

Right now they say the need is canned goods at this time. 

Copyright 2015 WTVM. All rights reserved. 

  • LocalMore>>

  • Hazmat team responds to situation at Auburn University

    Hazmat team responds to situation at Auburn University

    Saturday, January 20 2018 3:50 PM EST2018-01-20 20:50:36 GMT
    (Source: Auburn University)(Source: Auburn University)

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Auburn police and fire crews responded to a hazmat situation at Auburn University this afternoon. The incident occurred in Funchess hall at Auburn.  A hazardous chemical was reportedly poured down the drain during the cleanup process in one of the rooms being cleaned. The chemical did not go all the way down the drain and caused an odor in the building.  One person inside the building reported lightheadedness as a result of the fumes and i...

    More >>

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Auburn police and fire crews responded to a hazmat situation at Auburn University this afternoon. The incident occurred in Funchess hall at Auburn.  A hazardous chemical was reportedly poured down the drain during the cleanup process in one of the rooms being cleaned. The chemical did not go all the way down the drain and caused an odor in the building.  One person inside the building reported lightheadedness as a result of the fumes and i...

    More >>
  • More flu cases confirmed, doctors still recommend getting vaccinated

    More flu cases confirmed, doctors still recommend getting vaccinated

    Saturday, January 20 2018 4:32 PM EST2018-01-20 21:32:31 GMT
    (Source: WTVM)(Source: WTVM)
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Dr. Joseph Conklin with Columbus Regional Health said he's already seen his fair share of patients coming into his office, saying they have flu-like symptoms. "We're seeing a fair amount this year," he said. "Maybe a little more compared to last year." Numbers across the country only support his observation. The Centers for Disease Control reported 14,401 confirmed flu cases during the week of January 13, bringing the season's tot...More >>
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Dr. Joseph Conklin with Columbus Regional Health said he's already seen his fair share of patients coming into his office, saying they have flu-like symptoms. "We're seeing a fair amount this year," he said. "Maybe a little more compared to last year." Numbers across the country only support his observation. The Centers for Disease Control reported 14,401 confirmed flu cases during the week of January 13, bringing the season's tot...More >>
  • UPDATE: Fire reported on Cusseta Road

    UPDATE: Fire reported on Cusseta Road

    Saturday, January 20 2018 1:50 PM EST2018-01-20 18:50:10 GMT
    (Source: WTVM)(Source: WTVM)

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - A fire has been reported on Cusseta Road in Columbus. The fire was reported around 1 p.m. Saturday at Victory Park Trailer Homes.  This is a developing story, please check back with News Leader 9 for more updates.  Copyright 2018 WTVM. All rights reserved. | For more news, download the WTVM app here.

    More >>

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - A fire has been reported on Cusseta Road in Columbus. The fire was reported around 1 p.m. Saturday at Victory Park Trailer Homes.  This is a developing story, please check back with News Leader 9 for more updates.  Copyright 2018 WTVM. All rights reserved. | For more news, download the WTVM app here.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly