Bradley Center hosts bone marrow registry - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Bradley Center hosts bone marrow registry

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - The Bradley Center is hosting an event for Leukemia Awareness and Blood Cancer Awareness Month.

A bone marrow registry is being held on Thursday from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m.  

All it takes to see if you are a match is a quick swab of the mouth. Wyllie McGruber is a survivor of the disease.She joined forces with the Bradley Center to host the drive.

"When it comes to different populations such as minority populations, there is a rare amount of people that can actually match you. So primarily, maybe as an African American, my chances are very slim for matching someone," McGruber said. 

To be a match, you must be between the ages of 18 and 44, be in good general health and willing to donate to any patient you may match in the future.

Copyright 2015 WTVM. All rights reserved.           

  • LocalMore>>

  • More flu cases confirmed, doctors still recommend getting vaccinated

    More flu cases confirmed, doctors still recommend getting vaccinated

    Saturday, January 20 2018 4:32 PM EST2018-01-20 21:32:31 GMT
    (Source: WTVM)(Source: WTVM)
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Dr. Joseph Conklin with Columbus Regional Health said he's already seen his fair share of patients coming into his office, saying they have flu-like symptoms. "We're seeing a fair amount this year," he said. "Maybe a little more compared to last year." Numbers across the country only support his observation. The Centers for Disease Control reported 14,401 confirmed flu cases during the week of January 13, bringing the season's tot...More >>
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Dr. Joseph Conklin with Columbus Regional Health said he's already seen his fair share of patients coming into his office, saying they have flu-like symptoms. "We're seeing a fair amount this year," he said. "Maybe a little more compared to last year." Numbers across the country only support his observation. The Centers for Disease Control reported 14,401 confirmed flu cases during the week of January 13, bringing the season's tot...More >>
  • Funeral for Dollar General shooting victim held Saturday

    Funeral for Dollar General shooting victim held Saturday

    Saturday, January 20 2018 3:54 PM EST2018-01-20 20:54:46 GMT
    (Source: Family)(Source: Family)

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - The funeral for the shooting victim who was involved in a road rage incident was held Saturday afternoon. Lorenzo Freeman was killed after a road rage incident involving two other men at a Dollar General in Fort Mitchell. The funeral was held Saturday at 1 p.m. in Ozark, AL.  Copyright 2018 WTVM. All rights reserved. | For more news, download the WTVM app here.

    More >>

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - The funeral for the shooting victim who was involved in a road rage incident was held Saturday afternoon. Lorenzo Freeman was killed after a road rage incident involving two other men at a Dollar General in Fort Mitchell. The funeral was held Saturday at 1 p.m. in Ozark, AL.  Copyright 2018 WTVM. All rights reserved. | For more news, download the WTVM app here.

    More >>
  • Hazmat team responds to situation at Auburn University

    Hazmat team responds to situation at Auburn University

    Saturday, January 20 2018 3:50 PM EST2018-01-20 20:50:36 GMT
    (Source: Auburn University)(Source: Auburn University)

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Auburn police and fire crews responded to a hazmat situation at Auburn University this afternoon. The incident occurred in Funchess hall at Auburn.  A hazardous chemical was reportedly poured down the drain during the cleanup process in one of the rooms being cleaned. The chemical did not go all the way down the drain and caused an odor in the building.  One person inside the building reported lightheadedness as a result of the fumes and i...

    More >>

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Auburn police and fire crews responded to a hazmat situation at Auburn University this afternoon. The incident occurred in Funchess hall at Auburn.  A hazardous chemical was reportedly poured down the drain during the cleanup process in one of the rooms being cleaned. The chemical did not go all the way down the drain and caused an odor in the building.  One person inside the building reported lightheadedness as a result of the fumes and i...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly