House destroyed, dog killed in overnight house fire on 25th Ave. - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

House destroyed, dog killed in overnight house fire on 25th Ave.

(Source: Jenyne Donaldson/WTVM) (Source: Jenyne Donaldson/WTVM)
(Source: Jenyne Donaldson/WTVM) (Source: Jenyne Donaldson/WTVM)

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – A man was injured and a family pet perished during an early-morning house fire on Friday. 

Columbus firefighters were on scene of a house fire on the 300 block of 25th Avenue  around 3:20 a.m., and saw heavy fire and smoke pouring from a duplex-style home.

Battalion Chief Bryan Watson said there were two people inside when the fire broke out. One side of the duplex did not have electricity, and the person living there was using an extension cord to bring power from the other side.

The extension cord was connected to a hot plate, firefighters believe that is what started the fire. One side of the duplex sustained heavy fire damage, the other side sustained heavy smoke damage.

No one was hurt however, several dogs were inside at the time and one died in the fire.

Chief Watson says both people living at the home were offered Red Cross assistance but turned it down saying they did not need it. Watson also offered some advice as temperatures begin to cool. 

"Just be careful with your heating device, cooking devices," Watson said. "Obviously, in this situation here, I don't think they had power on the left side and they were using an extension cord to pull from the other side of the duplex. Those are real easy to overheat and catch fire."

Copyright 2015 WTVM. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly