Officials urge residents to be cautious with portable heating so - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Officials urge residents to be cautious with portable heating sources

(Source: Columbus Department of Fire and EMS Facebook page) (Source: Columbus Department of Fire and EMS Facebook page)
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -

Columbus Fire officials say a charcoal grill being used for heat was the cause of a house fire Wednesday morning that destroyed a home on 27th Street.

Columbus Fire and EMS were called to the home just after 9:30, according to information from the Fire Department’s Facebook page. The say no one was home when the two-story wood frame home caught fire.

Authorities say the fire was caused by the improper burning of wood in a charcoal grill in a bedroom that the occupant was using for warmth. The Red Cross was on the scene to assist fire victims.

The fire has prompted a warning from fire officials urging people to exercise caution when using alternative heating sources such as space heaters, wood stoves and other devices.

They point to several recent fires that have been caused by the improper use of these types of heating devices in the last several weeks.

Officials remind you to keep space heaters and other heating sources at least three feet away from combustibles, clothes, and curtains and always use them on a flat surface.  

Kerosene heaters should only be used in well ventilated areas. They also urge you to never leave any of these heating devices unattended. 

Copyright WTVM 2016. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly