OPELIKA, AL (WTVM) - The Opelika Police Department has announced multiple arrests made in a major prostitution and sex trafficking bust in Lee County.
On June 23, 2015, the Opelika Police Department responded to a local hotel in reference to a complaint of Criminal Trespass.
Officers located a 16-year-old female who was not being truthful about her identity. During the process of identifying the girl, they determined that she was from a local rural area in Lee County and was at the hotel because she was being coerced into prostitution.
Further investigation led officers to discover other underage girls in another room who were also being coerced into prostitution by adults. One of the girls was 17 years old and from Opelika, AL. The other girl was 14 years old and determined to be a runaway from north Alabama.
All three girls were immediately taken into protective custody. A multi-agency investigation was launched using local and federal resources. That investigation led to the arrest of 25-year-old Aleisha Michelle Bufford on April 27, 2016.
Bufford claims to live in both Opelika and Tuskegee, AL. She was charged with two felony counts of Human Trafficking, First Degree. The victims in these cases were the 16 and 17 year olds respectively.
Further investigation is ongoing and more charges against Bufford, as well as, other suspects are possible. Bufford has been incarcerated in the Lee County Jail since her arrest. Her bond has been set at $100,000 per case.
During the Human Trafficking investigation, Opelika Police discovered that several local hotels, unknowingly, were being used to conduct prostitution related activities.
On June 17, 2016, Opelika Police in conjunction with other local and federal agencies conducted an undercover operation in an attempt to identify and arrest people involved in illegal prostitution.
Eleven Individuals were arrested during the operation and charged under Alabama's prostitution statutes. All charges in these cases are misdemeanors and will be prosecuted through Opelika Municipal Court on Wednesday, Aug. 31 at 1:30 p.m.
- Clint Andrew Johnson, 24, Auburn, AL - Soliciting Prostitution
- Kevin John Sasser, 41, Opelika, AL -Soliciting Prostitution
- Joshua Octavious Johnson, 18, Hurtsboro, A- Soliciting Prostitution
- Norris James Sawyer, 20, Luverne, AL - Soliciting Prostitution / Unlawful Poss. Marijuana, Second Degree
- Quindre Keion Jackson, 36, Opelika, AL - Soliciting Prostitution
- Phillip Bernard Lockhart, 44, Opelika, AL - Promoting Prostitution, Third Degree
- Aleecia Jenae Scott, 20, Montgomery, AL - Prostitution
- Shadell Tyler Blake, 20, Edmonton, Alberta Canada - Prostitution
- Rhonda Lynn Civitarese, 49, Salem, AL - Prostitution
- Shamirah Magby, 24, Opelika, AL - Prostitution
- Teresa Darlene Fuller, 44, Jacksons Gap, AL - prostitution