COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - A dog perished in a house fire Thursday morning.
Officials were called to the home, located at 5334 Shanna Lane, at 8:59 a.m. When firefighters arrived at the home, the one-story home was heavily involved in fire.
Only two of the home's five residents were at home with their pets. One of the residents was taken to the hospital and is expected to be OK. Officials on the scene said a dog died in the fire.
Columbus Fire Marshal Ricky Shores says the initial investigation shows that the fire started in the living room and was caused by an overheating laptop computer. The computer was plugged in and sitting in a magazine rack when it caused the fire.
The estimated damage costs from the fire are $150,000.
Shores wants to remind folks to make sure to have working smoke detectors in their homes and to check the detector's batteries.
More investigating will be done in this case.