COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and since the program began in 1985, breast cancer deaths have declined.
Breast cancer forms in the cells of the breasts and can occur in both men and women, but it's far more common in women.
It is not clear what causes breast cancer, but there are risk factors that are linked to the disease.
Some of the risk factors include:
- Family history
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Diet high in saturated and trans fats
- Use of hormone replacement therapy
- Having a first pregnancy after age 35
Mammography screening remains the best available method to detect breast cancer early. Breast ultrasound might also be useful in detecting breast cancer.
Some of the symptoms of breast cancer include:
- New lump in breast or underarm
- Swelling of part of the breast
- Irritation or dimpling of the breast
- Any change in the size or the shape of the breast
For more information on breast cancer click here.