Due to Wednesday's severe weather across the area, the Georgia statewide tornado drill that was scheduled for Wednesday is now Friday at 9 AM ET. The county based sirens should sound and your NOAA weather radio will go off with a tornado drill message. Take this time to practice finding your tornado safe spot at work, school or home.
Flood preparedness brings Georgia’s Severe Weather Preparedness week to an end. Flooding events are nothing to fool around with as they are costly and life threatening. Flash floods can occur within minutes so it is best to prepare now.
The first step to being prepared is to educate yourself on the terms used to describe a flood hazard.
Flooding is usually divided into two categories.
- Flash floods are caused by excessive rainfall over a short amount of time which usually is more life threatening.
- River flooding is the gradual increase of a river’s water level over days or weeks.
Both of these can cause death, injury, and property destruction.
Both of these types of flooding watches and warnings can be issued.
- If a watch is issued it means flooding is possible.
- If a warning is issued it means flooding is happening now or will occur.
So, what can you do to protect yourself and your family during a flooding event?
- If flooding occurs get to higher ground. Get out of areas subject to flooding such as canyons, dips, and low spots.
- Avoid areas already flooding, especially if the water is fast flowing.
- Do not attempt to cross flowing streams.
- Don’t ever attempt to drive through a flooded road. Over half of flood deaths are vehicle related. Just six inches of rain can cause a car to lose control and a foot will make one float. Also, the depth of the water is not always visible. The road may be washed away and you could become trapped. Remember “Turn Around, Don’t Drown.”
- If your vehicle is suddenly caught in rising water, leave it immediately and seek higher ground.
- Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to see flood dangers.
- Monitor your NOAA Weather Radio, News Leader 9 on-air and online to get the latest weather information
Visit the Rainfall Archive page for daily rainfall totals over the past 15 years for Columbus, GA.
Copyright WTVM 2018. All rights reserved.