(WTVM) - The 89th Academy Awards are only five days away, and this year's ceremony has a change of pace from previous celebrations.
For starters, this is the first year in which black actors were nominated in every acting category. This follows two years in which not a single black actor or actress was nominated. Mel Gibson is up for the Best Director award since last being nominated 21-years ago. Another first includes the ceremony to be hosted by television host and comedian, Jimmy Kimmel.
In addition to these interesting element, WalltetHub released it's 2017 Oscars Fun Facts Report that features interesting facts about the Academy Awards. Below are a few additional highlights from the report:
- 225 countries and territories in which the Oscars will be televised
- $2.1M- Cost of a 30-second commercial during the Oscars telecast
- Viola Davis breaks record for a black actress with 3rd Oscar nomination (Best Supporting Actress, Fences)
- La La Land is the third original musical to earn a Best Picture nomination
- $30K- Cost of the 16,500-square-foot Oscars red carpet
- $696 Estimated value of the 24-karat gold-plated Oscar statuette
- $42.8M- Total cost of the Oscars ceremony
The 89th Academy Awards broadcasts on ABC, Sunday, February 26, 2017.