More than $1,000 stolen from Girl Scout's booth; Juvenile arrest -, GA News Weather & Sports

More than $1,000 stolen from Girl Scout's booth; Juvenile arrested

The theft happened around 3:30 p.m. outside of the Rural King on Morgan Avenue. (WFIE) The theft happened around 3:30 p.m. outside of the Rural King on Morgan Avenue. (WFIE)

More than $1,600 were stolen from a Girl Scouts of Southwest Indiana (GSSI) booth, outside of a Rural King store on Saturday.

The theft happened around 3:30 p.m. outside of the Rural King on east Morgan Avenue. The press release states a total of $1,677 was taken from the GSSI booth.

One juvenile suspect, who fled and physically resisted officers, was arrested in relation to this theft, according to the press release. The juvenile suspect is charged with:

  • Theft All Other.
  • Narc-Poss. Marijuana, Hash Oil, Salvia, Synthetic.
  • Resist Law Enforcement (Two counts).

All of the money that was stolen from the Girl Scout's troop was recovered.

Madalyn Bradley, Director of Marketing and Communications for GSSI, released the following statement regarding the theft:

“On behalf of the Girl Scouts of Southwest Indiana family, we want to thank the Evansville community for stepping up to support the safety of our girls and volunteers. Safety is our top priority, and we are thankful to be a part of a community that has always supported Girl Scouting and all it makes possible for girls.”

We spoke with a witness who says he saw the robbery occur and chased after him.

The witness, who wanted to remain anonymous, says he and his daughter had just come out of Dollar General when he says he saw two men that looked suspicious walking near a Girl Scout Troop near a Rural King. 

"All of a sudden, I heard a woman say, 'stop him,' and I turned back toward the store front and there was a young woman in pursuit of one of the three males we had just seen."

He says he saw a man running away with a purse. The witness says he has a concealed carry permit and took off running after him. 

"I drew my weapon, and I told him to stop,"

However, the suspect didn't listen. The chase took both men around the corner and into the back lot of the building. The suspect eventually lost him in these trees, but what he didn't expect was for the suspect to re-emerge."

Fred Osbourne says he believes this is suspect, caught on the four surveillance cameras on his house. 

"There's nothing to alarm me; he's just riding a bicycle except he went through a way that people don't usually and it wasn't three minutes later that I saw the police dog out here," Osborne said.

Osbourne says police found the money, hidden in a shed which might explain why this man didn't see any money when he came back through the woods as he had police on the phone. 

He gave a good description, and the suspect was arrested. The man says police told him the suspect might have gotten away if he didn't interfere. 

Copyright 2017 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly