MIDLAND, GA (WTVM) – A product made right here in the Chattahoochee Valley was one of the winners in the University of Georgia's 2017 Flavor of Georgia contest.
Midland Ghost White Pepper Sauce won in the condiments and sauces category.
The pepper sauce is made by the company 4Saucerers in Columbus and the Midland Ghost started as an experiment growing peppers that turned into perfect a pepper sauce.
The annual competition, sponsored by the University of Georgia's Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, is considered the state's premier testing ground for small, upstart food companies, and time-tested products.
The winners were congratulated in a ceremony Tuesday at the Georgia Freight Depot in Atlanta by Governor Nathan Deal and Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black.
The winners are listed below by prize name, product name, company name, and town.
- Grand Prize Winner: Georgia Grinders Pecan Butter, Georgia Grinders Premium Nut Butters, Chamblee
- People's Choice Award: Carroll's Vidalia Onion and Cheese Smoked Sausage, Carroll's Sausage & Meats Inc., Ashburn- Barbecue Sauces: Wicked Que Georgia Vinegar Sauce, Neptune Industries Inc., Watkinsville
- Beverages: Worryfree Tea, Biron Herbal Teas, Macon
- Condiments and Sauces: Midland Ghost White Pepper Sauce, 4Saucerers, Columbus
- Confections: Chocolate Covered Fried Peanut Cluster, West Foods Inc., Edison
- Dairy or Related Products: Revolution Gelato Chocolate Fantasy, Revolution Gelato LLC, Atlanta
- Honey and Related Products: Honey Pecan Crunch, Hahira Honey House, Stockton
- Jams and Jellies: Satsuma Orange Pepper Marmalade, Fairywood Thicket Farm, Fairburn
- Meat and Seafood: Carroll's Vidalia Onion and Cheese Smoked Sausage, Carroll's Sausage & Meats Inc., Ashburn
- Miscellaneous: Georgia Grinders Pecan Butter, Georgia Grinders Premium Nut Butters, Chamblee
- Sauces and Seasonings: Campfire Salt, Beautiful Briny Sea, Atlanta
- Snack Foods: Toasted Sriracha Pecans, Goodson Pecans LLC, Leesburg