Dog dies in Saturday morning house fire on Sherwood Ave. - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Dog dies in Saturday morning house fire on Sherwood Ave.

(Source: Tony Sloan/WTVM) (Source: Tony Sloan/WTVM)
(Source: Tony Sloan/WTVM) (Source: Tony Sloan/WTVM)
(Source: Tony Sloan/WTVM) (Source: Tony Sloan/WTVM)

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM ) - Columbus fire crews responded to a house fire on Sherwood Avenue Saturday morning.

There was heavy smoke and small flames showing from the roof of the home located on the 4100 block of Sherwood Avenue.

Crews responded to the fire around 11:30 a.m.

Fire officials are unsure of the cause of the fire. They tell us that the fire started toward the back of the home and moved toward the center. 

Family and friends made sure to check on the homeowner who lived alone in the house with his dog.

Eddie Beasley, the homeowner's nephew says, "When over to where we were going to watch a ball game. And then his granddaughter called me and me and my wife jumped up and I said drop me off and go and get uncle Freddie and that's what she'd done."

The homeowner's dog, Chloe, died in the fire.

He lived in the home for more than 40 years and may be living with loved ones for a while. 

Copyright 2017 WTVM. All rights reserved. | For more news, download the WTVM app here.

Powered by Frankly