(WTVM) - A Phenix City family is in need tonight and mourning extreme loss after their house caught fire and burned to the ground Thursday.
The fire destroyed a home on Alexander Loop.
"My uncle Nate, when he passed in Ohio, my family couldn't be up there anymore because there were so many sad memories. So they've been in this house for about four months now," says Anna Hodges.
On Thursday, Anna says an afternoon fire caused by an electrical socket spark, leaves her cousin Steven's house in crumbles along with their property and belongings destroyed.
"They lost their shoes their wallets and even their car keys to their car," says Hodges.
Most of all, they lost five family members consisting of three dogs and two cats.
"The dogs that died, one of them belonged to my uncle who passed away a year ago. [Steven] was trying to save him because he was crippled he can't really walk. He realized that he couldn't do it," says Hodges. "So he ended up going into the room where he was and he said he was sorry and that he loved him. Then he walked outside and he saved Gage. Thank God."
Hodges says Steven managed to save his one-year-old brother Gage from the flames. Although the family has lost everything they're thankful for their neighbor's support and the communities help while they rebuild.
If you would like to donate to the family contact the Red Cross for more information.