DAWSONVILLE, Ga. (AP) - Investigators say improperly discarded fireworks sparked a fire that burned down three Dawson County, Georgia homes.
State fire marshal spokesman Glenn Allen tells the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the fire, which happened early Thursday, has been ruled accidental. Allen says a homeowner placed fireworks in a trash can outside the house, and the blaze started from there.
Dawson fire Chief Danny Thompson says authorities were called to the scene of the fire around 12:15 a.m. Thursday. By the time fire crews arrived, three homes were burning.
Three families, about 11 people in all, had safely evacuated before firefighters arrived. Two other homes sustained heat damage, but Thompson says they are still livable.
Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.