AUBURN, AL (WTVM) – The 2018 Back to School Sales Tax Holiday has been set for July 20-22 in Alabama.
On April 17, the Auburn City Council approved an ordinance exempting specific items from the City's four percent sales tax, including the following items:
Clothing-All apparel suitable for general use is exempt unless it otherwise appears on the taxable list; clothing items must cost $100 or less per article of clothing to be exempt.
Computers and Computer Software-A single purchase with a sales price of $750 or less will be exempt. Items exempt include computers, computer software, and school computer supplies.
School Supplies-Any items of $50 or less per item commonly used by a student in a course of study will be exempt. Supplies may include art supplies, reference maps, and globes, textbooks on an official school book list with a sales price of more than $30 but less than $50 and books with a sales price of $30 or less per book.
Items not exempt during the Sales Tax Holiday Weekend include:
- Clothing accessories such as handbags, jewelry, sunglasses, and umbrellas;
- Protective equipment such as breathing masks, hard hats, helmets and safety belts;
- Sports or recreational equipment such as ballet or tap shoes, athletic gloves, goggles or shin guards; Furniture;
- Any systems, devices, software or peripherals designed or intended primarily for recreational use; Video games;
- Magazines, newspapers, periodicals or any other document printed or offered for sale in a non-bound form.
Click here for a full list of exempt items.