Family of Man Killed in Trailer Fire Sues Trailer Park Owner for Negligence - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Family of Man Killed in Trailer Fire Sues Trailer Park Owner for Negligence

June 23, 2008

COLUMBUS, Ga. (WXTX) - During the early morning hours of June 7th, Frederick Sampson was sleeping in his fiance's mobile home off Old Cusseta Road when a fire broke out.

By the time he woke up, investigators say it was too late, and he couldn't escape the flames alive.

Now, Sampson's family is suing the owners of the Park Village Mobile Park, for negligence in his death.

"It's state law that a trailer park is required to have a fire alarm provided to the tenant. We believe the investigation from the fire department and from our private investigators will show that no smoke alarm was present in this trailer," said Austin Gower, the attorney for the Sampson Family.

The fire marshall does confirm that there was no evidence of a smoke detector after the blaze was put out.

So WTVM went to talk to the owner of Park Village, Mary Joe Moore, to get some answers...

"All I can tell you is we do have fire detectors and we have electricians that check all that stuff out before they move in," said Moore.

She declined to comment further, referring us to her lawyer...but the Sampson family's attorney says they will continue to seek justice in their son's death.

"This man had a child with a fiance that has not been born yet, and they feel it's their duty to protect the best interests and provide for this child who will no longer have a father," said Gower.

Powered by Frankly