Columbus Man Charged with Capital Murder in Death of Fort Mitchell Woman

Click here to read Lindsey's bio.





by Lindsey Connell
WTVM News Reporter
bio | e-mail

Sept. 19, 2008

FORT MITCHELL, Al. (WTVM)-- Tiffany Folmar's family reported her missing this past Tuesday to the Russell County Sheriff's Department. They knew she'd never abandon her two-year-old son.

They last heard from her Monday night when she placed a phone call to her grandmother who she was staying with, saying she'd be home shortly. She never made it there. The number on the caller ID led police to fifty-year-old Clyde Friend, a mechanic from Columbus.

"We took a missing persons report on her Tuesday and the deputy had actually interviewed Mr. Friend and another person and they told the deputy she had been with them on Monday but they had put her out in downtown Fort Mitchell in front of the grocery store," said Russell County Sheriff Tommy Boswell.

Then, the unthinkable. While searching for her yesterday, Folmar's family found her body near railroad tracks not far from her home off Highway 165. Folmar's grandmother says they decided to search the area on their own, based on leads the family had gotten. Meanwhile, the police say they're working to retrace Folmar's final steps.

"On Monday afternoon, she left home walking, he came by and picked her up. They did not know each other. They wound up at a trailer at Fort Mitchell. The afternoon went on. There was an argument. They left in his truck and she was not seen again until we found her body yesterday," Boswell said.

Friend was brought in for questioning a second time Thursday night and arrested during that interview and charged with capital murder.

Friend made his first court appearance today and pled not guilty.

Investigators tell us they also questioned him about the death of Cynthia Huling.

She was also found dead along a road in Fort Mitchell back in August.

However, they say they do not think he's connected to that case.

A preliminary hearing for the case has not been set at this time.

In the meantime, he is being held in the Russell County Jail.

Results from a preliminary autopsy report are expected within the next week or so.