Faulty electrical wiring sets church ablaze

September 22, 2008

HUGULEY, Ala. (WTVM) - A Huguley church fire that started Monday morning is not a result of arson. The Huguley Church of Nazarene was reported to the Huguley Fire Department around 5:00 A.M. The Assistant Alabama State Fire Marshall says the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring near the church nursery.

Some had suspected it might have been caused by an arsonist since arsonists had set a small fire in the church about a month ago. Police are still looking for those suspects who also burglarized the building. However, the possibility of arson this time was ruled out late Monday afternoon.

"Some churches made themselves available so we could use their facilities for our worship services," Steven Spencer said. "This is just a building, the church is the people, this is just a structure, it comes and goes but God's people are the church," Spencer added.

The sanctuary was the only part of the church that didn't burn. However, no immediate plans have been made concerning where this week's church services will be held. The church does have fire insurance. The pastor expects that the congregation will rebuild at the same location.