COURT: Victim of fatal Macon Rd. shooting tried to get into passing cars before being shot

Updated: Sep. 25, 2018 at 3:40 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - A Columbus teen charged with murder after shooting his former girlfriend appeared in court Tuesday morning.

Markel Ervin, 17, was arrested Sunday, September 23 in connection with the September 22 fatal shooting of 18-year-old Destinee Virgin that took place on Macon Road.

Ervin pleaded not guilty to murder in court. Police say more than a dozen people witnessed the shooting.

According to court testimony, witnesses say they watched as Virgin frantically left the car and began running down the street on Macon Road.

Virgin was reportedly screaming and trying to get into other vehicles, while narrowly being hit by oncoming traffic. That’s when witnesses say the suspect, Markel Ervin, got out the car, chased her, shot her multiple times, and then left the scene.

In response to community reaction who say they system failed this young victim, Ervin’s defense attorney, Stacey Jackson says the case is far from over.

“The only thing I have to say right now is it’s still early In the investigation. As detective Nicolas said, the car is still being processed, I’m assuming whatever footprints that were mentioned are still being processed. It’s a little too early to give any comments on the case, so far,” Ervin’s Defense Attorney Stacey Jackson stated.

Ervin was identified in a photographic lineup by a witness who knew both the victim and suspect in this case.

Police say shell casings from a 9mm handgun, footprints, and credit cards are all evidence that lead investigators to the arrest of Ervin.

At the time of his arrest, police say Ervin was in possession of the victim’s credit card.

In April, Ervin was ordered to have no contact with Virgin after being accused of kidnapping the then 17-year old against her will.

Ervin’s attorney says he was shocked to hear the two were in contact.

“After my client made bond, I hadn’t talked to him recently, obviously it was a surprise to me they were in each other’s company," said Jackson.

Due to the nature of this case, Ervin was not given bond in court. This case has been bound over to Superior Court.

He is currently being held in the Muscogee County Jail.

Follow News Leader 9′s Sharifa Jackson for the latest updates from court.

Copyright 2018 WTVM. All rights reserved.