(AP) – A second case of novel coronavirus has been confirmed in the U.S. among evacuees from China.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the person was aboard a flight from the city of Wuhan that arrived at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California last week.
The patient is in isolation at a San Diego hospital. Also in isolation is a woman who was mistakenly released because of a mislabeled sample that hadn’t been tested for coronavirus.
The evacuee was returned to the hospital on Monday after testing positive for the virus.
China has reported another drop in the number of new cases of a viral infection and 97 more deaths, pushing the total dead past 1,100 as postal services worldwide say delivery was being affected by the cancellation of many flights to China.
The National Health Commission said Wednesday that 2,015 new cases of the coronavirus had been reported over the last 24 hours.
The total number of cases is around 45,000 globally. The death toll on the mainland rose to 1,113.
There have been 14 confirmed cases in the United States.
China is struggling to restart its economy after the annual Lunar New Year holiday was extended to try to curb the spread of the virus. Traffic remained light in Beijing and many people were still working at home.
Both the U.S. and Singapore Post said in notes to their global counterparts that they are no longer accepting items destined for China, “until sufficient transport capacity becomes available.”
Japan’s health ministry says 44 more people on a cruise ship quarantined in the port of Yokohama, near Tokyo, have tested positive for the virus that causes the new disease known as COVID-19.
The ship, which is still carrying more than 3,500 passengers and crewmembers, has 218 people infected with the virus out of 713 people tested since the ship returned to the Yokohama Port on Feb. 3.
In all, Japan has 247 confirmed cases of the new virus that apparently started in Wuhan.
Organizers of the world’s biggest mobile technology fair are pulling the plug over worries about the viral outbreak from China.
GSMA said Wednesday that this year’s edition of Mobile World Congress will no longer be held as planned in Barcelona, Spain, on Feb. 24-27.
The decision comes after dozens of tech companies and wireless carriers dropped out, with the latest cancelations by Nokia, Vodafone, Deutsche Telekom and Britain’s BT on Wednesday.
Other big names that have already dropped out include Ericsson, Nokia, Sony, Amazon, Intel and LG. The companies cited concerns for the safety of staff and visitors.
Two Russian women who were quarantined for possible inflection by a new virus say they fled their hospitals this month because of uncooperative doctors, poor conditions and fear they would become infected.
Russian health authorities haven’t commented on their complaints.
The incidents occurred amid the outbreak of the virus in China that has already infected more than 40,000 people all over the world.
In Russia, only two cases of COVID-19 have been reported. Nevertheless the authorities took vast measures to prevent the new virus from spreading and have been hospitalizing people who returned from China as a precaution.
A cruise ship that was turned away elsewhere over virus fears has anchored off Cambodia, which is checking the health of its 2,200 passengers and crew.
A Cambodian health official says some 20 passengers have fever or stomachaches but they are thought to be normal illnesses.
Holland America Line says no known cases of the virus have been confirmed on the ship.
U.S. Ambassador W. Patrick Murphy said the embassy will work with the ship’s representatives and Cambodian officials to help Americans reach their destinations.
Murphy said the U.S. was coordinating with other foreign embassies as well.