Vehicle fire burns down Fort Mitchell family's house

Vehicle fire burns down Fort Mitchell family's house
Published: Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:16 AM EDT|Updated: Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:03 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FORT MITCHELL, AL (WTVM) - A Russell County family's house was destroyed by fire and Monday morning they are waiting to find out what their future will be.

The fire began in the garage of a home in the 100 block of Bradley Road, Fort Mitchell. Shay Robinson said her Chevrolet Suburban caught fire inside, sparking the flames that would eventually consume the entire house. Robinson and her husband lived there with three children, ages 13, 8 and 4.

They moved to Alabama from Fort Drumm, New York when her husband, Marlin, was transferred to Fort Benning two years ago.

The family was unable to save anything from inside and right now, they are homeless.

The Red Cross has stepped in, but local community leaders are encouraging others in Fort Mitchell to step up and help because replacing like clothes and household items can be costly.

"This stuff is expensive, and if you have a thousand people trying to help it is not expensive for anybody," said Pastor Mack Ballard of Fort Revival Community Church. "So, if we step up, it is not going to cost anybody much, but it is going to bless everybody."

If you have anything you would like to donate to help the family, you are asked to call the Red Cross in Russell County at 334-298-3631.

Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.