WARM SPRINGS, GA (WTVM) - The Bulloch House restaurant in Warm Springs
, with firefighters on the scene for hours afterward.
All that remains of the restaurant was once-smoldering debris and tearful neighbors with years of fond memories of the landmark. Many in the Warm Springs community spoke on on their memories of the Bulloch House.
"It's crazy I just ate here yesterday," resident Amy Lynch said. "[Just] Shock, devastation, tears."
"It brought a tear to my eye. A bunch of tears," health inspector and frequent customer of the Bulloch House Eugene Sminner said.
The fire broke out Wednesday and took several fire departments more than four hours to get under control. Fire Chief Alfons Pynenburg says they weren't able to stop it fast enough.
Owner Peter Lampert rushed to restaurant hoping it wasn't that bad.
"It was 100-foot flames coming up. It was already destroyed," owner Peter Lampert said.
The house built more than 100 years ago is now gone forever.
"Well it's gone just about devastate the tourist business here," said Maxie Bulloch, whose great uncle built the original house.
"It's a great loss for our county it's just I just can't I'm beyond words for what I feel," Sminner said.
"It's really heartbreaking I don't know what to say," Lampert said.
Lampert says he's devastated for the employees, especially those who have worked their since the home became an eatery in 1990. He wants to rebuild but says you can't rebuild a place like this.