Woman survives near-death domestic violence situation

Published: Oct. 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM EDT|Updated: Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:06 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - A woman who recently moved to Columbus said she fell victim to abuse at the hands of her husband.

She shared her story of survival Wednesday as a part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Laura White met her husband at church and everyone loved him, but things changed after a few years.

She said he became controlling, monitoring her every move and isolated her from her friends and family.

However, it all spiraled out of control in 2009 while she was babysitting her grandchild.

Her ex-husband was sick and tired of the 18-month-old crying.

"He opened up the front door and put him out on the front porch and shut the door," White said.

After five minutes in the dark and cold she found her grandson in the street, and that's when she realized she was in an abusive relationship after six years.

She left him that fall.

Six weeks after she left her ex husband, he called her over to sign the divorce papers.

When she met him, she also met death face to face.

"He raised the shotgun up and chambered it and he leveled it at me and told me to sit down and the he proceeded to say he was going to kill me and himself," she said.

She begged him for her life, saying she would call off the divorce.

But, "he shot me in the abdomen with a 12 gauge shotgun close range, and a 12 gauge shotgun does a lot of damage, it just blew me completely open," White said.

All of her nerves on her left side was severed and she went down to the ground, and her ex husband blamed the entire situation on her.

She said she laid there for 30 minutes conscious of everything going on and he even faked a 911 call.

Her ex then turned the gun on himself but didn't have the courage enough to pull the trigger.

Thirty minutes later he called for help.

"When they got me down to the trauma center I had completely bled out, I no longer had a heartbeat or a pulse, they gave me a less than one percent chance of living," she said.

She was in a coma for three weeks, having 12 back to back surgeries and 17 total.

After three months in the hospital, Laura came to Columbus to live with her sister, who is a nurse.

They eventually went to trial and her ex-husband was sentenced to life in prison.

She truly believes she was saved for a purpose.

To hear her full discussion click the web exclusive video above.

if you or someone you know needs help, contact Hope Harbour.

Copyright WTVM 2015. All rights reserved.