Veteran, wife lose Harris Co. home in fire night before Thanksgiving

Veteran, wife lose Harris Co. home in fire night before Thanksgiving
Published: Nov. 27, 2016 at 2:41 AM EST|Updated: Nov. 27, 2016 at 5:11 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HARRIS COUNTY, GA (WTVM) - A Marine veteran and his wife are expressing how thankful they are for life after losing their home a day before Thanksgiving.

Losing a home due to a fire isn't the first devastating experience Stan and Joy Willis has been through. They lost their son a few years ago and now they're picking up the pieces of what's left behind in their completely charred home.

The Willis' said the fire that took their home of 33 years happened the night before Thanksgiving as they were preparing for the holiday.

They suspect the fire that burned the entire roof off their home started due to a hot grill on their patio.

"I cooked on the back porch that evening and I put the fire out at 9 p.m.," Stan Willis said. "Well, at 3 a.m., we woke up to an explosion and the whole back of the house was on fire.

"By the time we realized it, the fire spread all through the attic portion of the house and the ceiling caved in," he continued. "We just grabbed the little bit we could and made it out the door."

The Willis' say what's been keeping them through this hard time is the support of the Harris County community. They say neighbors and friends have given them an abundance of clothes, food, and prayers.

The couple is still staying on their property in a camper. They didn't want to run the risk of leaving their 1,800 acres of land if the fire were to ignite and cause a wildfire due to dry conditions in our area. 
Copyright 2016 WTVM. All rights reserved.