COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Muscogee County Sheriff's Office says an inmate has died while in custody of the Muscogee County Jail Saturday morning from natural causes related to a heart condition.
Jail staff discovered 49-year-old Monica Clark unresponsive in her cell at approximately 6:25 a.m.
Jail medical personnel responded and called for Emergency Medical Services.
EMS responded but were not able to revive Clark.
The Coroner was notified and pronounced Clark deceased at 6:59 a.m.
Clark was responsive when served breakfast at approximately 4:30 a.m.
The Muscogee County Sheriff's Office says Clark is known to have had a complicated, lifelong medical history.
The GBI was been notified of the inmate death; however, due to the extensive medical history, they were asked not to conduct an investigation.
Since the initial release of the inmate's death, Major McCrae with Muscogee County Sheriff's Office tells News Leader 9 that GBI states an autopsy will not be necessary.
Officials say Clark's cause of death is natural causes related to a heart condition.
Clark was housed in a single cell in the medical clinic area of the jail. She was booked into the County Jail on April 1, 2017, on the following charges:
- style="text-align: justify;">Violation of Probation (2 counts)
- style="text-align: justify;">Aggravated Assault
- style="text-align: justify;">Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Crime
- style="text-align: justify;">Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon
- style="text-align: justify;">Criminal Damage to Property (2nd Degree)
The family of Clark has been notified of her death.