TROUP COUNTY, GA (WTVM) – The Troup County Sheriff's Office is warning of IRS telephone tax scams.
The sheriff's office is reminding the public that the IRS will never do the following:
- Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. Generally, the IRS will first mail a bill to any taxpayer who owes taxes.
- Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
- Demand that taxes be paid without giving taxpayers the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Call you for an unexpected refund.
As always, never give out financial information to people you do not know over the phone.