AUBURN, AL (WTVM) – The City of Auburn's 2018 Municipal Election will be held on Aug. 28, and all positions on the Auburn City Council are up for election, including mayor.
People interested in running for office may begin qualifying with the city the day after the Notice of Election is published on Tuesday, July 3.
Since City Hall will be closed in observance of Independence Day on Wednesday, July 4, candidates may begin qualifying on Thursday, July 5.
Here are the qualifications to run for mayor or one of the eight seats on the Auburn City Council:
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old
- Have lived in Auburn for 90 days prior to the election
- (For Council) Have lived in the district for 90 days prior to the election
- Have lived in Alabama for 90 days
- Have been a U.S. citizen for one day
- Be a registered voter
Candidates must file qualification paperwork at City Hall, located at 144 Tichenor Ave., no later than 5 p.m. on Tuesday, July 17. Candidates must file additional paperwork with the State of Alabama regarding topics such as campaign financing.
Click here for more information about the upcoming election.