COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - The Columbus Fire Department fought an early morning fire on the city's east side.
According to Battalion Chief Mark Burnett, they were called to the home on the corner of Hilyer Dr. and Norcross Dr. around 6:00 a.m.
A downed, active power line on the fence stopped emergency crews from getting to the backyard once they arrived on the scene.
The home's renter, Daniel Rozier, says he believes the fire started in his carport where the electrical box is located.
Rozier says his son was in the back of the house and he was in his bedroom watching television when the power suddenly went out.
He says if it was not for the sound of a smoke detector, he and his son would not be alive.
"We lost a lot of stuff, we lost everything and my poor dog, I lost a puppy inside," says Rozier. "So, I know it's a hurting situation, but thank God for the smoke detector because me and my son wouldn't have been here and I'm real emotional and y'all gotta excuse how I look, but it's a hurting situation."
With dad in his robe and son barefoot, neighbors came out to help, donating water and shoes.
Rozier's son says that though he was supposed to be at school, all he could think about was his puppy who was lost in the fire.